for 8 servings
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar(300 g)
1 cup olive oil(240 mL)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup lemon juice(120 mL), about 2 lemons freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup whole milk(235 mL)
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour(280 g)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream(470 mL)
½ cup strawberry jam(160 g)
2 cups strawberry(300 g), sliced
• Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
• Grease three 8-inch (20 cm) tins with butter or cooking spray, then sprinkle with flour to cover all sides, shaking off any excess. Cut out three rounds of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of each tin.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar and use a hand mixer to beat until it has tripled in volume and is thick and pale yellow in color.
• Continue blending and gradually add the olive oil. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk, and mix until smooth.
• Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently incorporate into the liquid batter until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
• Evenly divide the batter into the three baking tins.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cakes are lightly golden and fork comes out clean from the center.
• Allow cakes to cool into the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
• Using a hand mixer, whisk the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add in the strawberry jam whisking together until fully incorporated and peaks are stiff.
• Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
• To assemble, start with a bottom layer of cake. Cover top with a generous amount of icing, followed by an even layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat with the remaining layers.
• Finish the cake by icing the top and sides with icing, and garnishing the top with remaining strawberries.
• Store in the fridge until ready to serve.