2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
2 cups (414g) sugar
3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup (240ml) milk
1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
2 tbsp orange zest
1 cup (240ml) fresh orange juice
Orange Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
2 1/2 cups (560g) unsalted butter, room temperature
9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
1 cup (114g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange extract
1 tbsp orange zest
5–8 tbsp fresh orange juice
Salt, to taste
• Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
• Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk together.
• Add the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, orange extract and orange zest to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
• Add the orange juice and mix until well combined.
• Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
• Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
• When the cakes have cooled, make the buttercream frosting. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
• Add about half of the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and beat until well combined and smooth.
• Add the vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest and 5 tablespoons of orange juice and beat until well combined and smooth.
• Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until well combined and smooth.
• Add additional orange juice until it reaches the right flavor and consistency. Add salt to taste.
• To build the cake, use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat.
• Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread about 1 cup of frosting on top in an even layer.
• Add second layer of cake and add another cup of frosting on top in an even layer.
• Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake. Feel free to use my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake.
• Use the remainder of the frosting to pipe a border around the top edge of the cake, then decorate with orange slices.
• Store cake in an airtight container. It’s best if eaten within 4-5 days.