Nothing beats a super moist lemon cake with a cup of tea in the afternoon. This cake is super simple and you are going to love it to the last bite.
1+1/2 cup (180g) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon (3g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (49) baking powder
1 teaspoon (29) lemon zest
cup (180ml) vegetable oil
1+%½ cup (300g) castor sugar
1 cup (285g) yoghurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoon (75mL) lemon juice
½ cup (120mL) milk
2 cups (474ml) full-fat milk
2 cups (478ml) fresh cream
4 tablespoon vinegar/lemon juice
½ tsp salt
1tsp vanilla (optional)
1. Start by greasing an 8-inch round cake tin then line the bottom with parchment paper and set it aside. Sift the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl together with a teaspoon of baking powder and half a teaspoon of baking soda. Whenever you are making an eggless cake, it is important to sift the dry ingredients because this will help make your cake lighter.
2. Into the flour mixture, zest in the skin of one lemon then give the dry ingredients a good mix and set it aside. Ina small boul with caster sugar, add in oil and a teaspoon of Danilla extract then using a whisk, beat the oil and sugar until they are well mixed then add 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix it in until nicely incorporated.
3. Once the lemon juice is incorporated add in one cup of greek yoghurt and mix it in until smooth. Add half of the dry ingredients to the yoghurt mixture and using a spatula gently fold it in, mix until you do not see any large air pockets in the batter then add half a cup of milk, mix it in then add the remaining flour and fold it in as well. Since this is an eggless cake, mix just until the dry ingredients is moistened and do not overmix the batter, overmixing will give you a dense cake.
4. Pour the cake in the prepared cake tin and smoothen the top then bake in the preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 22 to 25 minutes. While the cake is baking you can prepare the cream cheese frosting by adding one cup of cream cheese in a bowl and to that add half a cup of softened butter, vanilla extract and a teaspoon of lemon zest.
5. With an electric mixer on high speed, mix everything together until soft then add one cup of icing sugar and continue beating it until super soft and fluffy. Once the cake is baked, remove it from the pan and let the cake cool completely before frosting it. This cake will be your new favourite it is super light, fresh and flavourful. It tastes even better with that tangy cream cheese frosting.