These classic French cookies, with a kiss of chocolate & a sprinkle of chopped pistachios, are elegant, yet so easy to make!
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 4 tsp honey
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• pinch of salt
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 4 Tbsp milk
• 3/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
• 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
• 2 3.5 oz bars dark chocolate
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in vanilla, honey, lemon zest and salt.
• Add flour and baking powder, alternating with milk, and beat until blended.
• Gradually add cooled melted butter in a steady stream, beating until just blended.
• (optional) Add 1/4 cup chopped pistachios to mix and stir in.
• Spoon approximately 1 T batter into each cookie indentation of Madeleine pan (filling almost to top).
• Bake until puffed and brown (about 5 to 7 minutes).
• Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes in pan, then flip onto cooling rack for an additional 15 minutes.
• Melt chocolate bars in double boiler (or in glass bowl over boiling water in a sauce pan).
• Dip Madeleines in melted chocolate, then dip in remaining chopped pistachios.
• Set finished madeleines on cooling rack for chocolate to harden (about 20 min).
BRUSH THE PAN WITH BUTTER: we use a non-stick Madeleine pan, but even the best can use a brush of butter before pouring the batter in. Using a pastry brush, brush the pan with melted butter to ensure that the edges are slightly crispy.