One 8-inch cake or Two 6-inch cakes
2 tsp (10g) apple cider vinegar
1 cup + 2 tbsp (270g) plant milk
1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (210g) all purpose flour*
3/4 cups + 1 tbsp (170g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp (6g) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2g) baking soda
3/4 tsp (5g) salt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (82g) oil
1 1/2 tbsp (16g) vanilla extract
Two 8-inch cakes
1 1/2 tbsp (20g) apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups (540g) plant milk
3 cups + 2 tbsp (420) all purpose flour*
1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp (340g) granulated sugar
1 tbsp (12g) baking powder
1 tsp (5g) baking soda
1 1/2 tsp (10g) salt
3/4 cup (164g) oil
3 tbsp (32g) vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Prepare the baking pan(s) by spraying with oil then placing a parchment paper circle to cover the bottom of the pan.
• In a mixing bowl add the plant milk and vinegar and set aside to clabber for 5-10 minutes.
• In a second mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until fluffy.
• Add the oil and vanilla extract into the clabbered milk and mix to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
• Pour the batter into the prepared pan (or divide in half if baking 2 cakes). Bake the 8″ cakes for 36-38 minutes, bake the 6″ cakes for 31-33 minutes. The cakes are done when the edges are golden and have pulled away from the sides of the pan and a test comes out clean or with one or two crumbs.
• Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Then working gently, turn over the pan with a wire cooling rack to catch the cake. Remove the pan, then peel off the parchment paper. Turn the cake back right side up and leave to cool fully on a cooling rack.
• Place the cooled cakes on a cake board and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge or in freezer-safe ziplock bags in the freezer until ready to decorate.