- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (3oz. | 90g)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, (30ml)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (5.2oz. | 150g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or plain flour, (5.2oz. | 150g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (or dutch processed for a richer taste)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Mix in melted butter and oil to combine. Whisk in the egg, vanilla and brown sugar until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Stir into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in half the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove cake and place onto a wire rack to cool.
First published in 2014. Post has been updated with new photography.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sugar: 17g | Iron: 2mg