Delicious Genoise Sponge Cake
Genoise is a classic sponge cake that originated in Italy. It is naturally leavened by whole eggs and thus contains no baking powder or chemical leavening. This is very versatile cake can be caten plain or used as a base for various layered cakes.
150 g (3 pcs) large eggs
75 g (6 tbsp) granulated sugar
10 g (1 tbsp) honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
85 g (⅝ cup) cake flour
14 g (1 tbsp) unsalted butter
15 g (1 tbsp) milk
1. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Put the bowl
over a pot of hot water. Whisk constantly until it is heated to 40°C or lukewarm to the
touch. Remove from the water.
2. Place butter and milk in a small bowl. Put the bowl inside the pot of hot water without
submerging it. Leave it so that the butter can melt and stay warm until needed.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg mixture at high speed until it reaches the ribbon
stage. It will volumize, turn ivory in color, and become really thick. When the beater is
lifted, the cake batter should fall slowly like a ribbon and hold its shape on the surface
before slowly disappearing.
4. Once thickened, switch to low speed and beat for another 1-2 minutes. The mixture
should become smooth and shiny.
5. Add the sifted flour in 2 batches. Gently fold and mix the batter after each addition, just until combined.
6. Remove the butter and milk mixture from the hot water. It should be warm by now
(about 50°C). Add a dollop of cake batter and mix well.
7. Pour the butter mixture into the remaining cake batter and mix immediately. Mix
again with a folding motion, just until combined (do not overmix).
8. Immediately pour the cake batter into a 6-inches (15 cm) round cake pan that has been
lined with parchment paper. Swirl the batter with a skewer or chopstick to remove big
air bubbles. Tap the pan twice onto the counter to further remove the bubbles.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for about 30 minutes. Once baked, immediately tap
the pan twice onto the counter. Unmold the cake and peel the paper. Let cool completely before slicing the cake.
Enjoy Genoise Sponge Cake Recipe.