This Chocolate Banana Cake is a terrific recipe to use those always present brown speckled bananas on your counter in an easy to make, delicious dessert.
2 cups flour 3/4 cup good quality cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
11/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
11/4 cups mashed banana mashed banana
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease two 9 inch cake pans well and dust with cocoa. (Or you can line the pans with parchment paper after greasing them.).
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
4. Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Mix in the banana and vegetable oil.
7. Mix together the lemon juice and milk to sour it.
8. Fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture, alternately with the soured milk Begin and end with the dry ingredients. I add the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the soured milk in 2 portions.
9. Divide the butter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
10. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.