- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or plain flour, (7.4 oz. | 210 g)
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar, (11.1 oz. | 315 g) — or a natural granulated baking sweetener measuring 1:1 with sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (1.7 oz. | 50 g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (2.5 g)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, (80 ml)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract, (20 ml)
- 3/4 cup milk, (190 ml)
- 3/4 cup boiling water mixed with 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (190 ml)
- 1 cup heavy cream or thickened cream, (250 ml)
- 8 oz. semi sweet or dark chocolate chips, (250 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or 9-inch) with non stick cooking oil spraying. Line base with parchment paper. *SEE NOTES*
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine well.
- Add oil, egg, vanilla and milk to the flour mixture and beat well to combine, about 30 seconds. Pour in the boiling water (with the coffee), and mix until glossy. (Cake batter is thin in consistency.)
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the chocolate cake comes out semi-clean with small amount of cake (not runny batter) on it due to the fudgy texture.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Transfer cake from the pan to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan and heat over low heat for a few minutes. Watch that it doesn’t boil or simmer it. Once the cream is hot, turn stove off and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Add in the chocolate chips; cover saucepan with a lid and let sit for a good 5 minutes to soften and melt the chocolate.
- Uncover, and stir slowly first, with a spatula or wooden spoon, gradually mixing faster until ganache is smooth, creamy and glossy. Refrigerate for one hour or hour and a half until thick enough to spread (similar consistency to Nutella).
- Spread evenly over the cake.
BAKING POWDER: This cake is meant to be super moist and fudgy. If you like a fluffier cake, use 2 teaspoons baking powder. Any more than that and your cake will rise too much and crack through the middle.
Baking soda is not needed in this recipe.
SPRINGFORM PAN (PLEASE NOTE)
Springform pans are NOT 100% leakproof. Very thin cake batters such as this one will leak through the base. To combat this issue, line the base with parchment paper coming up where the sides meets the base to create a ‘cover’. Place a baking sheet on the shelf below the cake pan (or the bottom of the oven) to catch any stray drips (don’t put cake pans directly on the pan).
Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 214mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1.2mg