- 1 (15.25-ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Sprinkles, for optional topping
- Conversation hearts, for optional topping
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour one 8-inch round cake pan and one 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly between the round and square baking pans. Bake for 26 to 31 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes come out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, pudding mix, and confectioners’ sugar. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in the whipped topping and red food coloring.
- Leave the square cake whole. Cut the round cake in half.
- Assemble the pieces on a serving tray in a heart shape by placing the cut side of the round cake on two of the flat sides of the square cake.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with the prepared topping.
- Decorate with candies or sprinkles.
search in search bar for your favorite recipes