4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cups lightly packed finely grated carrots**
2/3 cup chopped pecans optional
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, cold 1 – 8 oz package
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream cold
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper, spray with baking spray or butter and dust with flour, set aside.
• In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
• In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla.
• Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in pecans and grated carrots. Divide mixture evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans.
• Bake cakes in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in the pans before removing to a wire rack to cool.
• Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting Flip cakes upside down when frosting.
• Chill a large bowl for the whipped cream.
• For the whipped cream cheese frosting:
• In a large chilled bowl, whip cream with a mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
• In another bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla until fully combined and creamy. Make sure the sugar has dissolved completely.
• Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream, then use mixer until it’s fully combined and fluffy.